In Monoprix this evening, I heard an interesting exchange.
I had been out browsing (didn't buy anything, so it wasn't really "shopping"), and stopped by Monoprix to buy a bottle of wine for a soirée. I'd been in town a couple of hours, and by the time I selected my wine and got in line I was just sort of mindlessly waiting to get home, not really paying attention to anything.
Which is why I had to do a mental double take when I heard the two French girls switch from chatting in French to, "Are you paying or should I?" "I will pay." while their items - I noticed a 2-pack of Côte d'Or chocolate bars - were being rung up. They then switched back into French for the rest of the exchange.
I think all three of us were surprised when, after handing them their receipt, the cashier said, "Have a good evening" in English instead of "au revoir." It was like I'd walked into bizarro world for that brief moment! Made me smile.
All three of these people were young French women, probably between 18-21 years old. I almost had to stop myself from bursting into their (now French) conversation and saying, "Hey, do any of you want an English tutor?
But seriously, though, if you know of anyone (12+) in Dijon who wants an English tutor, let me know. I'm looking for students.
I heard the "Twilight Zone" music playing in my head as I imagined this scene. Very, truly bizarro...
ReplyDelete-Barb the French Bean